Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy Holidays!


Dear Blog,

‘Tis the season for love and giving and friendships and new starts. The workshop has come and gone, so have friends, my birthday, and soon, Christmas (As I write this, it is Christmas day). It’s hard to believe that it’s Christmas. It’s been grueling hot here in New Xade the past week. All I do all day is lay around trying to lose consciousness so I don’t have to deal with it. The workshop was a hit with the kids, we had an average of around 55 students each day (minus the 2nd day which was rained out). Though there was a huge language barrier, the kids had fun, and at the end of the day, I think that’s what matters. I’m not going to lie to myself and say that that’s all that matters, and maybe by saying that I’m showing that I have far too high expectations for myself here, but I’d like for them to receive the message I meant to portray, that is: work together to combat the threat of alcoholism. The temperature of the youth here can sometimes be toxic, they all know each other so well, but still there is a lot of fighting and teasing, and peer pressure, I’m sure. The past few weeks have been a good time to meet new kids and get to know the ones I’ve already met. It was busy, tiring, and sometimes awkward or crazy, but now it is Christmas week and I’ve had the village, for the most part, to myself and it’s been a nice peaceful respite. In a couple days I’m going to take my chances and try to get out of here so I can enjoy a short vacation in Namibia with some friends. When I get back, I don’t know what I’ll do. I don’t have too much planned. I guess we’ll see, friends, we’ll see. I miss you all a lot,

-Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment