Thursday, December 1, 2011

10 Babies

I only have a brief few minutes to pen this cause i'm trying to conserve battery life for those inevitable idle hours when the sun is about set and the only thing I want to do is zone out with the Duffy family...

This week, New Xade received a lot of new residents, folks who used to be squatters in Ghanzi. The government is relocating them back to the settlements. My youth friend says this is going to have a lot of unintended negative consequences as most of the relocatees are elderly, poor, or orphans (also known to my horror as the Ghanzi streetkids). The New Xade kids are curious enough, but these kids have been a particular cause of stress in my life. The Ghanzi streetkids are the gangs of tiny people who roam the streets of Ghanzi diggin through garbage cans, climbing into white people's trucks, and touching me in inappropriate places if I don't give them food or money. Now they are here. In my village. In my home. They have already broke into the boarding master's house (in daylight in front of the guards?) and ransacked his place. My tent (which was being stored there) was taken out of its bag and kids attempted to set it up. The tent's bag and the rain guard are still missing, but luckily, it's still usable. So i don't really care. I just feel bad for the boarding master. He received notice of transfer a couple of weeks ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just decided "Good riddance..."  and hightailed it out of here with the traditional ceremonious drunken party. I got to meet one of the new relocated families today at the clinic. A really sweet wrinkled looking middle aged couple who smiled at me through the nurse's english introduction and laughed nervously when I acknowledged them. Skinny as twigs, with a newborn baby. Baby was born on 10/31/2011 but looked like he was only a week old. Baby is baby #10 and, to the nurse's chagrin, all 9 siblings are still alive and kicking. Which means, they need assistance. Furthermore, mother's milk producing abilities is severely limited, meaning that the baby needs formula, and asap. The nurse asked me where my counterpart (the social worker) was, so she could get them some help. I shrugged-- "Ghanzi."  I answered. "but I'll call her and tell her to come back..."

In other news, I had 2 simultaneous meetings today. One with the youth, we are going on a team building outing next week. And one with the OVC caretakers who are discussing a community garden. I'm not pushing too hard for any of these projects to come to fruition, but once in a while someone says something that gives me a glimmer of hope and a taste of excitement. Then, I can't help but be dreamy eyed for a moment and wonder at the possibilities...

I just hope no one breaks into my house while I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment