Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Insurance Claims and Ellipses...

Some days I'm amazed at how productive one can be in one day and still have so much free time to be bored...

I collected documents and sent pictures to the computer insurance company today. I'm trying to claim insurance on one CPU unit and 2 monitors that broke pretty badly on the way from the UK to Africa. They should be worth about 200 US Bucks; every little bit counts when we're living in the bush. We could use that money to buy power supplies and other things if we can't physically replace those computers. I've been in touch with the freight company, the computer donation company, and the school trying to coordinate papers and other things. We're also missing a couple of wires...

In between emails, I read, watched Gossip Girl, ate, caught up on news, and lay out in the sun purposefully for the first time in a long time to try to get rid of my horrendous tan lines. I'm not normally one to care about these things, but there's a strapless dress my mom bought me right before I left that I'd like to fit into and look good in when I get home... and when your mind is at home 50% of the time you're here and you haven't looked nice in anything for 2 years, you tend to think and act on things like this...

Around lunchtime, the phone network went out and I am embarrassed to say that I panicked. You never know when things go out
here when they'll come back on. Last time the phones went out, I was without communication for over 2 weeks. Which is all fine and dandy if you're prepared for it, but if you're in the middle of making a well-delayed insurance claim and you don't know if someone's trying to reach you, or you have deadlines, or if your email actually went through with all of its 20 or so attachments, you start to panic...

Makes me realize how I took so many things for granted in the states... and to think that almost everyone now has a smart phone? My friend laughs when I tell her that I don't think I'm going to get one when I get home. YOU? she asks, incredulously. She has a point. I like being connected, but connected, all the time? What's the point? And how am I going to afford it anyway...

This is an ellipses day...

No comments:

Post a Comment